Ms. Sonya Hooja is one of the Founder-Director at Imarticus Learning. Sonya has an extensive experience in strategy development and project management across diverse industries such as financial services, education, public sector and pharmaceuticals. She has been associated with Accenture (Management Consulting), Affiliated Computer Services (ACS) and the erstwhile Lehman Brothers. Sonya has an MBA from INSEAD.
In this conversation with Rashmi r Parida (Indiaeducationdiary.com, editor) , Ms. Sonya Hooja talks about the Imarticus Learning and Investment Banking industry . Excerpts
India Education: Tell us something about Imarticus.
Ans: Imarticus Learning is a premier institute offering industry relevant programs that provide diverse career opportunities within the Investment Banking industry. Imarticus has been formed to bridge the gap between academia and the industry by providing knowledge and skill sets which are essential in today’s competitive working environment.
India Education: Who is eligible to apply for the Investment Banking courses at Imarticus?
Ans: Imarticus training programs are ideal for:
•Career Changers – Any candidate who has worked for less than four years and wishes for a change of career/industry•Job Seekers in the Finance Industry•Current Students pursuing MBA’s, M.Com, exceptional B.Com students, Bachelor and Masters degrees with Finance specializations/interests•Lateral Movements in Investment Banking•Others (for those that are looking to enhance their CV and knowledge in the Financial Services space)India Education: What is the procedure to apply for the course?
Imarticus follows a rolling admission procedure. Assessments have started from 1st August in our Campus. Batches Start from 15th September
There is three step Admission process:
Assessment – Step 1
‘Analytical / Quantitative tests’
Assessment – Step 2
‘Basics of Investment Bank’
Assessment – Step 3
India Education: Give us a background of the faculty at Imarticus.
Ans: The faculty at Imarticus comprises of industry professionals from firms like JP Morgan, CapGemini, Nomura and Citigroup. With over 60 years of experience in the investment banking and training industry, the faculty is positioned to impart the best in-class training through innovative learning methods
India Education: How would you summarize the core benefits of doing a course at Imarticus?
Ans: Following are the benefits that a student will gain by studying Imarticus:
1. Industry relevant training
2. Advanced Certification – CIBOP/CIBIT/CISI for Investment Banking Industry
3. Rewarding Career – high paying jobs
4. Global exposure
5. Placements in prestigious firms
India Education: What is the scope for students aspiring to be a part of the BFSI sector?
Ans: When it comes to the BFSI space there are many lucrative career paths spanning various functions- Finance, Marketing, HR, Operation, and IT. There are also many added perks to working in Banking such as global exposure, product knowledge and of course the personal development that comes with working in one of the most dynamic and intellectually stimulating environments. It is no wonder that BFSI Jobs have become the most sought after during campus placements across the country.
India Education: Tell us why a student should choose Investment Banking at Imarticus over an MBA in Finance.
Ans: The basic pre-requisites required for an Investment Banking job include a strong academic background, preferably a degree from a tier one college like IIT, excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and the ability to communicate effectively.
A finance MBA is a good foundation course but too general for a role driven career in Operations or Technology. You require an edge that will set you apart as the HR manager sifts through countless resumes. So a professional course like Certified Investment Banking Information Technology Professional (CIBIT) or Certified Investment Banking Operations Professional (CIBOP), that imparts specific training and skills can be of immense valuable. Professional institutions like Imarticus also have professional Placement Services teams that will find you the right opportunity, polish your resume, and guide you through the interview process.
A student with a commerce background like an M.Com, Bachelors of Finance, or even a B.com (exceptional academic track record) will be suitable for a career in Investment Banking Operations. A job in Technology requires a strong background in programming and a B.Tech, M.Tech, B.Sc, M.Sc in Computer science and Engineering. Rather than an MBA in finance, a professional certification from an Industry endorsed school will be more practical and prepare you for a lucrative and satisfying career in Investment Banking Operations or Technology.
India Education: Does your institute have any tie-ups for placements?
Ans: The placement team at Imarticus provides 100% assistance throughout the program to guide and help navigate ample career options. With years of experience in human resources and talent development, the Imarticus team possesses strong established networks within the industry. In addition, Imarticus has India’s first of its kind Advisory Council that comprises of senior executives from all the major banks.
We have an 8 step career preparation process will ensure that candidates have access to the best opportunities the industry has to offer.
1. Counseling - Imarticus Career Counselors will provide counsel and advise students in their careers keeping in mind the skill set and interest of every student
2. Unique Certification- The Imarticus certificate is unique and industry designed, and will truly differentiate you from the rest of the applicants.
3. Company Selection- With over 15 years of experience in human resources and talent development, the Imarticus team possesses strong established networks within the industry. In addition, through our Industry Alliances, we have
4. Job Preparation- The team at Imarticus provides dedicated support to ensure that each Imarticus student is ready for their chosen career. Through communication workshops and counseling, every student is offered complete assistance in all career related decisions from experienced professionals.
5. Interview Preparation- The career preparation team will ensure that you are completely prepared for your interviews and provide you with tools that will help you handle both one-on-one interactions and group discussions with confidence. These include multiple mock interview sessions which will be video recorded where necessary. This will be followed up with professional critiques, which will pinpoint your weaknesses and strengths and get you ready to ace the selection process.
6. 100% Commitment- Students will have full support until they are placed, and we are committed to finding the right job for the right candidate.
7. On The Job- Imarticus introduces opportunities while teaching you practical job skills and real world knowledge. Imarticus will not only place you but also kick start your career so you advance quickly.
8. Alumni- During your time here at Imarticus you will create a network that will last a lifetime. This network is a critical part of your career preparation as it will act as a support system that adds value to both your personal and professional life.
Through our Industry Alliances, we have:
•Strong relationships with senior management and human resources across the investment banking industry
•An in-depth understanding of hiring requirements
•The Imarticus Advisory and Industry Council comprising of senior representatives across all firms who play an important role in the placement process
India Education: What do you have to say about the current scenario of the investment banking industry in India?
Ans: The global Investment banking environment is a very challenging and dynamic environment. Emerging markets like India are also going through some tough times with the deal flow and liquidity drying up. Having said that, the India footprint to support Global Banks continues to expand and grow. India is now a integral part of the financial service landscape and continues to strengthen its position as a
As per a report by FICCI, the current human resource requirement in BFSI segment of 4.3 million is expected to reach 8.5 million by 2022.
India Education: Tell us in detail about the course structure, fees and certifications of the courses that are offered.
Ans: Imarticus offers two courses – one for operations – CIBOP and another one for IT in Investment Banking – CIBIT.
The CIBOP (Certified Investment Banking Operations Professional) program at Imarticus is designed for careers in the operations, treasury and clearing functions within an investment bank. After completing the comprehensive part-time program at Imarticus, you will gain an in-depth knowledge of global investment banking and capital markets. Upon successful completion of this program, you will receive the industry endorsed CIBOP certification and optional CISI certified IOC (Investment Operations Certificate). Both of these well-recognized certifications will equip you for a highly rewarding career within Investment Banking.
Fees – Rs. 85,000
· Global IB & Capital Markets
Detailed Securities / Derivatives Product and Industry Knowledge
· IB Product Trade Lifecycle
End to End Functional Learning
· Understanding Risk
In-depth coverage of operational Risk, with scenario analysis
· Middle Office, Core Operations, Custody and Treasury
Case Studies & Job-Specific Examples
· Personal Development Program
Information Technology plays an integral part in the financial services industry, particularly in investment banking. A key enabler for success, technology touches every aspect of an investment bank. A certification in investment banking technology provides for a fast-paced, promising career option within the technology arena. Upon successful completion of this program, you will receive the industry endorsed CIBIT certification and the optional CISI Certification from the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investments under the Royal UK charter for ‘IT in Investment Operations’.
Fees: Rs. 1,25,000
· Industry Knowledge
· Technology Training
· Product Management Methodology
(Agile – Scrum / Iterative)
· Trade Lifecycle
Front to back knowledge of processes and systems
· Live Projects & Case Studies
IT Analysis, Design and Development
| Email Story
|| Print Story